Monday, January 16, 2017

Singing to your Baby


Did you know that a fetus begins moving to the rhythm of their mother's speech at six months?  There is a strong connection that early between mother and child.  A baby's hearing is tuned to a mother's voice and that voice and other voices the baby becomes familiar with (father's voice, other care giver's voice) provide comfort and even emotional nutrients for the infant.  In the reverse, a baby's cry is tuned to the frequency that is most sensitive in a mother's ear.  No wonder those mother's who are not usually light sleepers, suddenly can hear their baby cry in the middle of the night

These things are not by accident.   A mother and infant are biologically designed for communication.  This is so the needs of the infant can be met physically and emotionally.  Singing soft melodies can nourish a child's brain development and provide them with feelings of love and comfort.

More research on singing to babies.  Read about it, but more importantly, do it.  It's good for them.

Here are a few words of familiar folk songs that you can use to communicate musically with your baby:


"My Bonnie"

My Bonnie lies over the ocean
My Bonnie lies over the sea
My Bonnie lies over the ocean
Oh, bring back my Bonnie to me

Bring back, bring back
Oh, bring back my Bonnie to me, to me
Bring back, bring back
Oh, bring back my Bonnie to me



"Hush, Little Baby"

Hush, little baby, don't say a word,
Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird.

And if that mockingbird don't sing,
Mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring.

And if that diamond ring turns brass,
Mama's gonna buy you a looking glass.

And if that looking glass is broke,
Mama's gonna buy you a billy goat,

And if that billy goat won't pull,
Mama's gonna buy you a cart and a bull.

And if that cart and bull turn over,
Mama's gonna buy you a dog named Rover.

And if that dog named Rover won't bark,
Mama's gonna buy you a horse and a cart.

And if that horse and cart fall down,
you'll still be the sweetest little baby in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment